Monday, March 06, 2006

The Changi Times - I

After some 'n' meals, 'n+2' desserts, several glasses of Orange juice and wine, the long and lonely flight from San Francisco was finally over. It was like ages before the plane touched on some land. All the way it was just Pacific... pacific and more of it.

It's 12:30 AM now. Got my way out to the airport soon, since I was all set to sleep for another 10 - 12 hours. I went straight to the way that led to the lounge where I longed to spread my already relaxed body. So as luck always sits on the back of me, (did I mention the bad one :@) I found that the lounge was full. Luckily, I remembered that there was a "Relaxing settees that vibrate" room somewhere around. Dragging my cabin luggage, I swooshed towards the room. Again, the 'L' factor on me back. I had to look around for a place to sit first! Found one seat near a 'now shutting' cafeteria. Tried to shut my eyes, but I guess the relaxing seats didn't comfort my tooshie.

What's worse, it's just 30 minutes of the 16 hours halt that had passed. Dammit, what about the other remaining hours? I roamed around a bit, looking at some of the cafeterias and other fast food joints. By now I had developed an appetite of a Gargantua! I could eat anything at any time of the day. I decided to settle on a meal at Burger King. Went and had a meal, trying my best to kill the time. Was having one bite and then counting 30 till I could eat another. Worked for the first few bites and then gulped down the rest. Now what? This makes an hour? I could see some kids playing around some games at the console kiosks. So went to the XBOX console and tried my luck there, not to win but be lucky enough to spend some minutes there. Nope! didn't work... now what! Walked to the nearest PC to check mails. Chatted with a pal of mine with my webcam on, who by now had already told the entire office that I dont fit in one frame anymore! The one instance where I cursed high-speed internet connection, that got my work done in 15 minutes.

After some 30 minutes, made a second attempt to hit the sack. Walked up to "The room" which was still full. By now I had decided I would not sleep that night. Went to some place where some people were snoring to glory. And yes they were all apne Indians! Some of them snoring, some watching Star Sports on big screens and others, quieting their kids with their squeaky voices.... eeeks! So I had an option of 1) Watching Star Sports, CNN or CNBC 2) coil up and sleep like a snail on the chair or 3) think of the options of the next grub in sometime. I did neither, and walked off after sitting there for a while.

Now what??? My sight just slipped on a board that pointed to a theatre? Wow... that would be fun! Walked up there and sat there in a 'more or less relaxing' seat. This was like 4ish and my eyes were drooping now. The movie was fart and I had to walk off! NOW WHAT??? Walked to the main terminal and sat there on a chair and tried to sleep. Ok this worked and now its morning Yippee!!!... lesser hours to go!

Went to BK's again for a juicy breakfast. By this time, the female at the counter had already started giving me that "Noodle smile" of her's. Reminded of the "Allloo Welcome... come inside... what will you have today! We have chicken, prawns and pork today!" all this in a mere breath! in the funniest tone I used to enjoy hearing and laugh on, at the Chinese Deli's :)) Had a heavenly meal again.

The next couple of hours spend strolling around from one terminal to the other, making use of all the free facilities provided, checking and re-checking the prices of electronics and perfumes in every store that shelved them. By now it was lunch-time and went to some Chinese joint to have another round of meal. Finished the quick lunch and walked to the nearest store for a bottle of water. Paid the money and left the shop. Had to spend a few more hours here before I could fly back. Now the only source of time-killer was watching those "not so interesting" channels I mentioned earlier. Sat there for 2 hours, warming the seat and killing time. By then it was time for a coffee break.

It was 4, walked slowly dragging my bag to the cafeteria. Stood there staring at the long list of coffee's they offered and the oven fresh muffins. I ordered a Cappuccino and a Danish muffin. Reaching my back-pockets to settle the bill, I realized something was really not what I wanted after hours of stay at Changi.... I rushed away from the cafeteria... yes you guessed it... the wallet was missing!!!

To be continued.....

2 comments:

Sunita said...

GOD!!!! And.....
havent heard this story of yours .... waiting for the sequel....fast now

Anonymous said...

Man!! Interesting... but i read the second part first...