Thursday, June 01, 2006

T'Oaks

Booze, kababs, some extremely well DJ'd classic pub music and a place ambushed with mature good crowd.... that's what I would crave at the end of a routine day at work. Of the many places Pune has got to offer... the one junction which is ever rocking, and quenches my desire would be 1000 Oaks. The place started almost a decade back, the period in which Pune has seen a wave of change. But T'Oaks is still one of the favourites on my list (and perhaps on most of the Puneites).

The place, situated in the heart of MG Road, has a nice old bunglow like look, with some good use of wood and plants. The outside portion is mainly occupied by the families, is pretty much boring and besides I'd prefer to start off in the bar. With music pumping loud and at a decibel enough to make even a soft James Blunt ballad rock, it's a perfect way to start off the evening. The rhythm of the songs played back-to-back catches up, as the night gets younger. With Pink Floyd, REM, Doors, Clapton, Jovi, Collective Soul, U2 and other ever-popular artists, this relay of music makes me crave for more and more! They even cater song requests from folks, which I personally enjoy after giving deep thought to match the ongoing beat velocity.

To start off, drinks accompanied by their delicious chicken and paneer starters and some mutton kababs gives a good pickup. And if you're evening just couldn't get better, the crowd starts heating the small dance floor as early as 10PM, adding to the charm. From teeny-boppers to age-no-bar types, everyone takes their chance on the floor. I prefer to sit with my drink and chant the lyrics of the songs with the company I go with. The place's also got an LCD screen, which you can gaze at. The only thing I hate is the smoke that chokes up the place and burns my eyes. But thats tolerable :)

The food out here has its own taste too! Owned by a Punjabi, this place has definitely got enough to offer for the North Indian acclimatized tongue. The place serves the best Dal Makhani and very good Butter Chicken. The Dal is a must for me with every visit I make. They also serve a good bunch of Mocktails for yer lady! Call it a pub, a hangout, good date spot, resto-bar or just perfect to celebrate a small birthday of special friends. As far as I can recollect, every visit of mine at T'Oaks has been wonderful.

Just a week back, I had been to T'Oaks to celebrate my best friend's b'day along with his fiancee and some of their friends. This would be my entry into the place after almost a year and what amazed me was that being a Tuesday, the place was PACKED! With so many joints opening up around the city with the latest of the trends to attract the crowd, it remains untouched. Truly a mastermind's investment, a place that would survive generations!

PS: Mr. Lamba, I need discount for my next visit to T'Oaks on drinks and the starters :))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey joonam first of all tell me how much did T'oaks pay u for all the maskas!!! Secondly, I have to say that u r a great writer. I love the sentences and the way u play with the words. Very neat! My first stop in Pune will be T'Oaks

Anonymous said...

Thousand oaks sucks bigtime. you cant call a place that plays U2 and bonjovi as a pub, please. LOLzzz. They might be good bands, but they are for easy listening, and they dont go too well with beer.

ruzan, guess i know you.. you are from s'ica pune i guess. then we are probably ex-colleagues. I am satish

Anonymous said...

Hi Satish,

Well that maybe your view of T'Oaks... I find the place very special and absolutely rocking... and I guess the only reason it's survived till date is coz they play the choiciest music... Well but mebbe you're not in the same mood of listening when you're having beer :)

And yes I'm still a Selectican... but cannot recollect you!

-Ruzz