Saturday, December 16, 2006

My Best Friends Wedding!!

Last week was one of the busiest weeks of my life, with literally no time to breathe. Yes, that’s coz my best friend Vishal was getting married to a beautiful and an adorable girl Shivani. And I was the “Best-Man” for the event (…ahem!!), which meant doing loads of shopping for me too. I was to attend the Sangeet ceremony apart from the wedding and the reception, each of them were on separate days. Thanks to my friend Risha, I could get things done as quickly as possible. From my suit trial, to buying traditional dress for the sangeet to buying Mojris and shoes, we did it all within 4 hours (which also saved me from paying an additional 5 bucks to the Pay’n’Park guy! :) )


Their wedding was my first complete hindu wedding I attended right from the Baraat to the Vidaai. The wedding took place at Sun n Sand, Pune on the 14th of Dec, 2006. I was to reach Vishal’s place at 4PM so that I could get some of his relatives to the venue. The baraat started just a block away from Sun n Sand (opposite the new Connaught Place structure). This would also be the first time I would actually be dancing on the roads in a baraat! Knowing my dancing skills I was a little tensed to start off. But seeing all the people around me dance and Raju with full enthu, I started moving my feet and this went on till the entrance of the venue where the bride’s father was waiting to receive the baraat. He joined us in dancing a little with each one of us and then with the groom. It’s a tradition for the groom to dance with the father-in-law.


As we entered the main entrance, the bride’s mother was waiting there with a thali. Here, the mother is supposed to pinch the nose of the groom and the groom’s side men have to avoid this from happening (by hiding the nose from being pulled). Raju did a good job here by being smart and prompt in avoiding the pinch and also smartly handling the distractions from the pujari :) Our groom’s eyes were filled with pleasure as the bride walked down the aisle towards him. We all walked down along the aisle following them and reached the mandap.


Our job started here. We were supposed to take care of the groom’s mojris, before the bride’s side (her sister and gang of cousins, 30 of them in total!!) could steal them and hide them. Before we could even get hold of the shoe, the bride’s side did a phenomenal job of snatching the shoe off (read as ripping us apart :) ) and running away with the shoes. Well as put by Raju in his words, they flicked the shoes in a record time of less than 20 secs. Soon, the actual wedding ceremony started. I didn’t know much of this apart from the Saat-pheres around the fire. The ceremony took close to 1 ½ hours.


After the ceremony got over, the bride’s side demanded for Rs. 30,000/- in return for the shoes. I tried my tricks on small kids bribing them with XBOX and Playstation 2 in return of letting me know where they hid the shoes. Naaah !! Didn’t work, kids these days are smarter :D The negotiations were on and they decreased the rate to Rs. 21,000/- This went on for sometime, when finally the settlement was done with the sis-in-law Shweta, who finally accepted to take the envelope with some unknown amount of cash in it, in return for the shoes. This also means that Mr. Vishal is going to get back to Raju and me for being unsuccessful in our task :)


For the next 2-3 hours, it was photo sessions, relatives and guests meeting the couple on the stage, people enjoying delicious Punjabi Veg food. Raju and I were standing by the stage in turns to collect the gifts and money-filled envelopes in bags.


The couple was to spend their night in one of the rooms in the hotel. And that was a little too much for some of us to digest :) So I teamed up with Vishal’s sister, Neha and we struck up a plan to stay all night in their room. First we went to the bakery and picked up assorted pastries for the couple, packed them and then kept it in their room later. I had talks with Vishal’s cousin Ketan to get some more ideas to trouble the two. We planned to stay overnight there in their room and call for room-service all the while. I was pretty excited about the idea :)


We all had dinner together with the couple and close family members. We were served some nice salads, great Punjabi food and the best of all, 3 desserts. I feasted on the sweets as usual not caring of the cal intake :P


The last ceremony was the Vidaai, where the bride’s parents hand over the bride to the groom. Its a little senti moment with mixed tears of happiness and joy in the bride’s eyes and her close ones. After meeting everyone, the couple sat in the car and her brothers pushed the car a little as a part of the tradition. We all left the place and few of us headed to Vishal’s house where the Griha Pravesh puja was to take place on the event of the bride entering the new home. The puja went on for almost 30-45 minutes and I was almost dead by now. With scary red eyes I waited for the puja to get over and them to get ready to leave for the hotel. We waited almost 30 minutes after the puja for them. By then 2 of his cousins (the ones who were going to accompany us all night, staying in their room) left and I was way to tired to stay back too :( We left the couple in peace and I drove back home after they left to hit the sack.


I wish both of them a very very Happy married life together!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruzan the great writer... while reading i felt that i was at their weddin as well... am glad u all enjoyed... I missed it big time :(((

Risha said...

It was fun shopping for the wedding, and gosh you looked handsome in them. Glad you enjoyed the wedding, gujju weddings are full of fun and masti.
but hey....how come you just went home and dint trouble the couple...

Ruzan said...

Hey thanks for the compli, its very rare to hear that, so ill cherish that one :)

...and regarding the "troubling them" part, well they are just too good to be troubled.

Sunita said...

With a little change of names this was an exact scene from HAHK.

On second thoughts, So you werent a couple and we have hopes for you too.